advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Myelogram

has anyone here had a mylogram on lower lumbar ?
from what I've googled it sounds terrifying
any personal experiences ??
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,482
    Is your doctor doing a myelogram using X-Ray or CT scan? MRIs have largely taken over myelograms except in cases where there are subtle cases of nerve root pinching.
    I've had several done, it just sounds worse than it is. They totally numb the area and you never feel anything but pressure.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • I don't know if he's even going to do one
    im seeing a new dr Tuesday bringing my mris to him. I'm just wondering if he'll want to do one after viewing my MRI 
  • advertisement
    If you have already had a recent MRI he probably will not do a myelogram. Like I stated above, MRIs are mostly used now instead.
    Please let us know what you find out Tuesday, I'm curious now lol.
    Why did you have an MRI to begin with?
    Sandra
  • I had the MRI done because of back pain and tingling burning in legs
    findings were bulging discs at L2-3,L3-4... Mild stenosis mild retrotheliasis at L2-3
  • My back doesn't hurt anymore but omg my legs!
    20 days straight now of either a tight feeling at the knees which can change to tingling and at its worst a cold burn from mid thigh to inner calf 
    worse when sitting or lying down to sleep
    im getting scared.....
  • advertisement
    I can see your sense of being scared, we are all that way when waiting for an answer.
    Sometimes when we are listening to a doctor's diagnosis our minds tend to wonder or we are dumbfounded. Then we don't hear half of what they are saying or forget all the questions we wanted to ask.
    One thing i have always done before an appointment is write down questions I want to ask. Take a notebook with you and jot down his comments and answers.
    Good luck tomorrow, hope it all turns out great.

Sandra
  • I'm scared of this nerve pain and that ultimately nothing the Drs can do will ever alleviate it 
    real pain would have me less terrified but nerve pain is something else 
    has anyone experienced these types of pain?
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 953
    mazzanesa - I've been through two myelograms and I'd do it again if a doctor thought there was a need. My two myelograms over the last 20 years were for cervical issues, but the injection site is the same for either cervical or lumbar.  My last myelogram in July, 2016 had very little pain.  The dye used today is not as viscous compared to the dye used 20 years ago, hence the bore of the needle is a lot smaller, hence a lot less pain.  The MRI is NOT the gold standard for all spine issues.  I must have had 10 worthless MRIs shot over the years because of my ripped facet joint and the problem was finally found the first time a bone scan was performed.

Please discuss your fears with your doctor ordering the myelogram.  Almost all doctors would rather NOT perform an invasive procedure if they could get the needed information another way.  I calling the inserting of a needle and invasive procedure.      
  • Actually seems he wants an emg 
    what's that like?
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 953
    EMGs sting a bit, stinging a bit like multiple bee stings.  The information obtained is very often worth the limited pain.  The doctor that did my last emg allowed me to take a pain killer before the test. 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.