advertisement
advertisement

Nerve Block Shot

AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 238
I am scheduled for a nerve block shot for my T8 compression fracture in a couple of weeks.  This is suppose to help with the rib pain.  Anyone out there have a history of getting a nerve block shot?
advertisement

Comments

• jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 688
    I have had many nerve blocks to see if the area was a good place for a rhizotomy. If a nerve block worked, then a rhizotomy was the next step. I've had them from the top of my spine to the very bottom (sacrum). 
  • AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 238
    Thanks for your input.  So I should look for another step in the pain process?  The nerve block shot did work for some of the radiating pain through my ribs, especially in the front, but my back ribs still burns with pain when agitated by just doing simple stuff as washing dishes or laundry.
  • advertisement
    I can't give you advice per the website rules. I can only tell you about my experiences. If a nerve block worked, my pain mgmt doc always did rhizotomies after that. The nerve block is a trial. If it worked I could schedule 2 rhizotomies to the same area a few weeks apart. I've had rhizotomies from the top to the bottom of my spine. While temporary, they gave me good results. GLTU
    The discharge nurse did tell me that it's to see if I get relief 4-6 hours.  I did get relief for a day but now my pain is worse than before the shot.  My ribs are burning with intense pain and also at times a strong vise grip around my back.  I hope this subsides cause I am stuck on my bed or recliner. Waiting on my PM to call me back!
    Nerve blocks are designed to last a day or two. They tell me to be active to get a good reading. If it helps, I do ablations. I had ablations from top to bottom of my spine since 2014. We even hit my sacrum. That still hurts me. Not sure we should have gone that low but I trust my PM. Probably the one mistake he made. Had to say goodbye to my PM and ortho this year due to insurance change. Hope my HMO has a good one for me. Very scary leaving your trusted docs. Both have cared for me since early 2012. I trust both a lot. Ortho did cervical ADR and ACDF. Still fighting pain from those. Dang bulging discs (top to bottom) , DDD, and arthritis. It's a life sentence I'm afraid. Sorry for your pain. I know it's tough. My PM had me do 10-12 day surgeries each year. Steroid shots, nerve blocks and ablations. It is my fulltime job now. 
  • advertisement
    I still don't understand why the pain is worse now than before the nerve block shot?  It's been 5 days since the procedure and I hope the pain subsides.  I went in to lessen my pain and now I'm thinking WTF!
    When your brain has a moment of no pain, it can be difficult to return to pain. My body senses more pain after something like that. My SCS 7 day trial was taken away from me and the pain was so bad!!!! My body can handle the pain if it's used to it. 
    SCS taken away due to insurance?  You're so right about no pain to going to high level of pain.  I keep thinking everyday the nerve will settle and get better, but it's tough saying to yourself WHEN?
    My body got used to no trial SCS after a few days. The perm SCS has helped me beyond words. You have an ablation scheduled yet?
    edited 01/26/2017 - 12:08 PM
    WaIiting on referral. HMO insurance that expires at end of the month since I was forced to quit my job last week.  Ironically I worked for an Orthopedic Center as a lab director working with components retrieved from mostly knee and hip revisions.
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.