advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Back surgery

I am 44 yrs old and started having moderate back pain on left side for about 3 weeks then one morning could not walk without severe back and leg pain. My boyfriend took me to the hospital and they gave me pain meds and did a MRI. Long story short they found a synovial cyst between my L4-L5 that has to be removed. Surgery is Friday with possible fusion. Is there anybody that has had this and what can I expect. I am nervous about this and have never had massive problems with my back before. Been out of work for 3 weeks now and the worst pain is in morning, I am 5'2 . Help
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Kimmy 72
    Thank you for where I could find more info. My Dr. stated it depended on a bone that keeps pushing out. No herniated discs but bulging and dehydrated, mild degenerative changes and no stenosis. He ordered a x-ray of my back and how my back bent. I am hearing a lot of people saying that if I don't have the fusion that the synovial cyst will return such means more problems. Kind of stuck in a conundrum. Should I have him do the fusion any ways or not and leave it to see what happens. I am very independent and am looking at that I can't be out of work for a year. Worse thing is I don't even feel like myself. Was very active and always working and doing things before this. I appreciate any advice. Thank you..
  • Thank you and calling surgeon today.
  • advertisement
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,489
    My first symptoms of problems was a synovial cyst in that exact same place...L4-5.  pinching nerves like crazy.  i lost almost all the use of my left leg along L4 and L5 nerve roots.  My surgeon had originally suggested a fusion but i ended up have much more severe problems that were underlying things.....make sure your surgeon does standing xrays-make sure that there is absolutely nothing else going on.  You can also ask him about synovial joint injections, some people get some good relief from having steroids injected (i did 2 rounds of these before my surgery and had good pain relief both times from the cysts).  the injections don't seem to be a cure though....at least not in my case, so....definitely explore all your options.  Hang in there, the pain from cysts is awful....sorry i can't help with your decisions etc, just please make sure that the cyst is the only thing going on-mine was a symptom of degeneration that they didn't see until doing a standing xray.  good luck!!! please keep in touch!!!!
    Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• Thank you for posting. I had a standing X-Ray and have not heard anything from the surgeon. There were degenerative changes in the facet joints. Disc bulging and dehydrated. Surgeon explained only option to have surgery to remove cyst. 
  • Question does any body have any idea what things I will need at home?
  • advertisement
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,489
    if you had them already that's great!  you will need things at home to stop you from bending, lifting and twisting and leaning.  a reacher grabber tool is irreplaceable!  and get things up to your level NOW, don't wait till after!  put your clothes for the first few weeks up where you can get them!  and something to help get socks on is really advantageous....even just a wood pole with a hook in it.....put some dishes on the counter so you dont have to lift them out of a cupboard, etc etc.  there's lots of good information on this site if you search a bit around.  for me though, the reacher grabber thing has been a lifesaver. 
    Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• Thank you.. going to pick up some stuff today. I have someone staying with me for a couple of weeks. I think going to the bathroom and wiping will be my greatest triumph. Lol. I guess I can only laugh about my stuff instead of letting it get me down. Than you very much
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.