advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Spine Surgery / L5L4 and L4L3 Fixation

jcauvijjcauvi Posts: 1
edited 01/11/2017 - 3:01 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hi,

My name is Juan Cauvi, I am 28 years old and I live in Lima, Peru. On 2008 I had a Spine Surgery where MD. [edit] put me an interspinous device (coflex) between L4 L5 to relief my lower back pain that was radiating into my left leg. 

For 8 years everything was fine (no back pain), I have been surfing, swimming, playing soccer, etc. Always being careful and continuing with my physical therapy until July of 2016. 
Since then I have been visiting numerous doctors here in Peru with many different types of diagnostics. Last Friday I got the chance to meet with MD [edit], and the diagnosis he gave me was:

1.Chronic discopathy in L3 L4 and L4 L5 with spinal canal stenosis in both levels.
2.Osteoarthritis at both levels.
3.Fusion of L4 L5 by interspinous device.
4.Sclerosis in left cavity in the lumbar region.

In order to relief the pain and start having a normal life (I cant stay stand up for more than 2 hours) he told me that the solution was to fixate L4/L5 and L4/L3 and remove the interspinous device (coflex) between L4/L5 . I am looking forward to make this surgery but I have some questions that it will be great if you can answer:

1. Have anyone heard about this types of diagnosis before?
2. Fixating L4/L5 and L4/L3 will bring me future back problems like hernias on the superior levels?
3. Can you recommend me another doctor in order to have a second opinion?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Saludos,
Juan

Comment edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator To removed the names of medical professionals
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,699
    edited 01/11/2017 - 3:00 PM
    hello juan
    there are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    members are not permitted to make recommendations

please click on link for information about spine-health
    welcome to spine-health

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • catapamcatapam AustriaPosts: 207
    I will just say that you were not too careful with your back those 8 years and situation deteriorated 
    Soccer considerably worsen my back situation when I was young.
    Some have better back condition some poorer.
    You should have a second opinion and decide.
    Next surgery will be mare complex than first one and more extracare after.

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.