advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Diagnostic strategy for possible infection

My wife was diagnosed with spinal stenosis a few months ago. Our slippery slope started with a Laminectomy in December. She has been in pain ever since (about 10 weeks). There are several possibilities: infection, surgical error, slow healing, sacroiliac problem. After multiple MRIs the radiologist sort of weasel words a possible infection:

" IDENTIFICATION OF ABNORMAL MARROW SIGNAL FROM L4 TO S1 WHICH APPEARS
MORE EXTENSIVE THAN PREVIOUS. THERE IS SOME ENHANCEMENT AT THE DISC
LEVELS AT L4-5 AND L5-S1 WITH SOME FLUID ENHANCING EPIDURAL SOFT TISSUE
TO THE RIGHT OF MIDLINE AT L4-5 AND
BEHIND THE L5 VERTEBRAL BODY AS DETAILED ABOVE. FINDINGS SUSPICIOUS FOR
PROGRESSING INFECTION. NO DISCRETE EPIDURAL ABSCESS IS IDENTIFIED."

After an earlier MRI  my wife was subjected to an aspiration. Nothing showed up in the culture(s). Blood work (2 rounds) did not indicate an infection .My wife had a PICC inserted for about 10 days and took oral anti infection meds. After the above MRI yet another aspiration has been scheduled.  We are not at all sure it will show anything. I would bet on another PICC and more shots-in-the-dark. We are very frustrated. Her pain is being controlled varying between 2 and 6.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    hello p598738 !

just a gentle reminder .....that there are no medical professionals on discussion forums.
    we members respond with shared experiences.

i am curious, did you have any questions in particular?
    i would be very interested to know more of what doctors have told you about their future plans.

please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Understood. Thank you Sue.

I would like to know if anyone has had experience with an unidentified infection.  

I would like to know what the-state-of-the-art is in diagnosing unidentified infections.

There is no plan going forward. The surgeon is off doing more surgery. The pain guy is writing scripts and the infec guy said that my wife should have the PICC taken out if she wanted to. Nobody owns the problem.
  • advertisement
  • Forgive me Sue, query  will not be published  ?? Thanks.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,241
    Hello....
    Other members may be able to share their experience, as I have none re infections.

In the meantime, I think it is good that you are following up with doctor regularly!....and continue to express the symptoms and whether better or worse or same.
    I find it is good to jot down any questions you have for doctor so you can bring along to appointment.

Did doctor give you any suggestions re what to do while at home?...Ex..check for any redness, leaking around incision site?...check temperature periodically?
    I don't know, just some thoughts?

Recoveries can be so different for each individual.
    It may be helpful to read...Recovery the Most Important Phase... Can find by using search, upper right on page.

Please keep us posted!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.