advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

CDC

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,989
So many people and/or their doctors are looking to blame CDC for any new changes.

First of all, the CDC items are GUIDELINES ONLY.    This are not firm and fast rules.

Many doctors have been practicing what some of these CDC guidelines are talking about.

So, please do NOT allow a doctor to blame the CDC or for any member to blame the CDC for not getting what they need
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,441
    Ron, thank you for putting this information out there.
    I think too many people in chronic pain are not getting the treatment they need with medications for this reason. Some doctors are using this as an excuse not to prescribe Opioids in fear of being flagged.    
    You started another thread, Dont Settle for Something Unless it Makes Sense to You, which should get people to understand they have a right to speak up, don't just take the doctor's answers. But work with him, get a good relationship going.
    I upset my doctor not too long ago by saying, what gives you the right to tell me how much pain I'm in and that i don't need anything stronger? He apologized because he knows me. He said he had never had anyone say that to him before.
    The relationship you have with your psychiatrist is a perfect example of this. You are a team working together.
    I just wish more people would read how easy it could be done if you just communicate.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,989
    Aaron, I know what you mean.  Its a tough one.  You have to have some solid level of communication with your doctor before that conversation happens.   If not, you are right most doctors will take the defensive stand.

But what might also help is in the approach.  If the patient has all the information at their disposal.   For instance what are the generally accepted opioid procedures in that geographically area ( cause right now, there is nothing federal that is solid)   Willing to participate in any test, any screening, go through any pill counts, etc make make it easier on both parties

Reminds me of the movie The Hunt for the Red October

I
    n that movie Sean Connery (captain of the Russian submarine) was planning to defect to the USA.  In one of his lines, he said,  Ramius The worries are the Americans. if we meet with the right sort this could work, but if we meant up with some buckaroo, forget it

Similar things apply to doctors
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,441
    Oh my Ron, that's is one of my favorite movies. Right up there with Field of Dreams and Opollo 13.  
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical Story  
  • My concern is that some doctors are treating the CDC guidelines as law or they don't want the added scrutiny of the DEA so they refuse to prescribe breakthrough meds. I read a post recently about a doctor  feeling that they are not necessary. I think new PM patients are more subject to the guidelines than established ones. I love submarine movies, esp. Das Boot and Hunt For Red October. It's all about anticipating the other's next move and adapting accordingly. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • Sometimes when approaching doctors patients feel as if we may "slip on our tea" these days Ron. I totally agree that this is all a guideline but doctors are very defensive lately, especially with newer patients. 

In my particular case I switched pain management doctors in April of 2016 because the new doctor has more experience with CRPS. This however means I am a newer patient and thus makes me less likely to speak up to avoid upsetting the applecart. So when a mistake was made and I went a month without a med refill, I was afraid to rock the boat too much. I placed two calls, no meds so I suffered and had withdrawls til my next appointment. I told her what happened and it was corrected immediately. The script coordinator who did not pass the messages along was let go as well. 
  • advertisement
  • The letter I got from my doc said "people are dying" due to the opioid  epidemic.  I don't understand why the CDC specifically went after chronic pain patients and gave a pass to other groups.  They gave no evidence that we are the ones diverting or selling our meds.  They even admitted the science was not great for their study because there are not good information available so they just   uh, assumed?

Unfortunately, many doctors and other health professionals are taking this as new rules or even the law. There is a recent survey where well over one half of pain patients said they are being tapered or cut off completely.  Now people ARE dying.  Of course it can put doctors in a sticky legal situation so I suppose the easy route is just say no.  This worries me about new patients with pain or if you have to switch doctors like me.  One of the guidelines states that 3 days of meds may be adequate after an injury or operation.

It's important to get things in writing.  When they were tapering me down I wrote and said that the reduction in medication was causing me more pain and as a result I was becoming less active physically.  I also lost more weight (down to 130 lbs) and my normal heart rate was becoming elevated along with blood pressure.  I asked them what they could do to help reduce the pain and outlined all the things tried previously.  Now I am reverse tapering!

The media is not helping either, it seems every week that there is a new story on the local news about the epidemic, usually with some misinformation.

The fact is that for over 20 years they have made it harder and harder for legitimate patients to get pain killers, but we still have an epidemic. 

• Hi Friends
    So many of the things I read from my fellow pain management friends is so scary.  I have had such a good experience with my PM doc that I just feel so sick for any one dealing with issues.  My doc has patients sign a pm contract but he truly follows "the guidelines" recommended but I know deals with his patients on a case by case basis. I take meds, I'm prescribed on an every 3 week basis which is ok with me, I take a urine test once a month ... and injections which provide some relief.   I feel respected by my doc and I know he is always truly caring about my pain levels and wanting to continue with the protocol that is working ... he hasn't  reduced my meds and I'm on an ER and IR as needed, I'm so grateful to have such a wonderful pain management doctor.   My point Is my doctor is recognizing the CDC as guidelines and not laws... he is still treating his patients based on their pain.   I'm so sorry for anyone not receiving appropriate pain management .   It's horrible 
    kelz
  • Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 384

I had to go off my tramadol for nearly a week before calling my doctor's office because I was too sick to keep my other medication down and Zofran from the ER had worn off. I had the prescription the next day. My boss was pretty upset that I'd gone off them (it's our job to make sure clients are complying with their prescribed meds), but I didn't have much of a choice. No money, insurance got messed up so I wasn't insured (abuser's insurance took away Medicaid and I wasn't using his - too dangerous) and couldn't go to my appointment. Under law I can only get refills once a month, and I have to go for an appointment to get the meds - my sleep meds from my psych provider work the same way, I have to go in for an appointment.

A lot of providers seem scared of being hunted by the CDC, FDA, DEA, etc. The environment in today's world seems to have been fed by scaremongering sensational news stories, and people believe it. The world has an opioid addiction problem - but it's mostly heroin and illegally gained drugs not being used for their intended purpose; not people who follow their provider's directions and take medication for treatment of something they have.

Kieran 
     "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

My Story: https://forum.veritashealth.com/discussion/90688/pain/neck-pain-cervical/help#latest

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,268
    I wonder if doctors get a good amount of discount off of their malpractice insurance if they do not prescribe opiates..?
    I don't know...just curious.

This also reminds me of decades ago when many fine doctors stopped their obstetrics practice.
    Too many law suits and mal practice insurance rates went out of sight.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,989
    Sue, as far as I know, there is no discounts for their malpractice insurance if they do not prescribe opioids
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.