advertisement
advertisement

So Thirsty at Night

Hi All,

One Week - Two Week Post Op ACDF C3/C4

I'm hoping my recovery is going well and I'm doing all the right things as I have managed to get off all the pain killers. I've been fortunate and managed to sleep in my own bed,but this is where I have my current issue.

Getting off to sleep is getting a little easier everyday, but I seem to be waking up a few hours later because my mouth, tongue and lips are so dry and I'm so thirsty.  This doesn't happen during the day.  I keep a glass of water by my bed, so literally get up, drink and then go back to sleep again, while my shoulders spark with pinches of pain across the muscles.

I'm just basically asking is this a normal experience us Spiney's?

I will contact my surgeon next week about this too.

Thanks All. 

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 849
    I had the same for about 3 weeks post surgery. I kept a huge glass of water beside the bed so i didnt hae to get up. I also had bad sweats at night. Once i got off most if the meds it got way better. 
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,829
    Me too, thirst at night is driving me crazy. It feels like my tongue is glued to the roof of my mouth.
    I'm thinking the meds because I have dry mouth during the day but now I'm on stronger meds it's worse.
    I've tried everything, mouthwash, mints, ice. I'm curious if this will improve once I'm off of all the oral meds.
  • advertisement
  •  I always keep a drink with me because of the thirst. Opioids cause dry mouth and every morning I wake up with a parched mouth. It also causes me to snore badly. Biotene products like mouthwash and toothpaste are great for us with this problem. Now if only I could get better sleep..
  • Thanks all, I'm seeing a practice nurse tomorrow to finally get my bandage seen too and I've sent an email to my surgeon.  

Thankfully no longer on pain killers but this thirst is very annoying.

Take Care All.  

• I wake up thirsty especially on my water pill days. I keep a sports bottle of water by the bed, or if I get up to use the bathroom I take a drink from the sink. I might try the Biotene myself.
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.