Neck/Shoulder pain - becoming unbearable

Neck/Shoulder pain - becoming unbearable

Hi all,

I am 34 male, slightly overweight. I have been having neck and shoulder pain mostly on the left side but it sometimes radiates to below my arms and even to the center of my back. At times I also felt the pain on the right hand side. I took the below xrays and the respective reports:

For some odd reason my doctor doesn't want me to do any physiotherapy and instead prescribed me anti depressants to relieve my muscle spams. I don't want to take anti depressants....any idea what I can do to help me recover without becoming dependent on these medications?




  • LizLiz Posts: 2,256
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM
    hello rz82
    there are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    this includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test 

    the main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

    please click on link for information about spine-health
    Welcome to Veritas Health Forum
  • mandykb23mmandykb23 DelawarePosts: 18
    I would say you need to get a MRI. Sounds like a possible herniated disc but can't say for sure until you get an MRI that shows the discs
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,340

    Those are all great questions for you to ask your doctor.  If you have asked and didn't get answers, then seek a second opinion from someone who will answer your questions.  It is up to you to be your own best medical advocate.
  • I was prescribed Vallium after my lumbar disc herniated.  It was only for 2 weeks and is used regularly in conjunction with other pain relief.  It made a huge difference to me and took me sideways away from pain and I didn't have any side affects after I stopped taking them.

    Prolonged severe pain on the body can increase blood pressure I found, so it is important to get that pain under control, even if its short term while other investigation is organised.

    As suggested above, maybe an MRI will produce better imaging of your discs.

  • Like some of the others said, get a MRI scan! You cannot diagnose soft tissue injury or abnormalities with an X-ray! I have bulging discs at C5 and C6. My primary doctor had a MRI done and the radiologist said everything was fine! I knew he was wrong, so my pain management doctor had another MRI done the next month and sure enough I was diagnosed with bulging discs!
    The point in telling you this is if either the doctor you are seeing, or the tests come back as normal, and you know in your heart that there is something wrong and they are not diagnosing you correctly, by all means go to a different doctor or hospital to get your issue diagnosed! They are human and do make mistakes!!! I know this first hand!! Good luck and let us know what you find out!!
  • advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.