advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Two Level Cervical Fusion

I'm new to this forum but looking for advice on upcoming surgery. Need a two level fusion C5-6 and C6-7. I'm also a bowler and it is a source of income for me. The dr. is saying recovery should be approximately 6-8 weeks. I'm just wanting to know what to expect post op and during recovery. Either way i've been in pain for over 2 years and treating with medications and injections have not helped.. I'm doing this for long term, 37 yr old male with 4 kids..  Any input would be appreciated..
Thank you
advertisement

Comments

• KWKWKWKKWKWKW YorkshirePosts: 1
    Hi.
    I had anterior corpectomy with fusion using a titanium cage and 3 metal discs in November 2016. I was up and about the following day and felt great for approx. 2 weeks after surgery. I followed my surgeons advice to keep active and move about (within reason of course). I haven't lifted anything particularly heavy but have done some jobs around the house such as light hoovering.
    I had my 3 month appt with my surgeon 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately I am getting quite a bit of pain in my neck shoulders and arms. I am now awaiting the results of further MRI's and CT scans with the possibility of further posterior surgery for decompression. This however cannot be done until the fusion has hardened, which can be anything up to 18 months.
    My right arm is weak (not much different to how it was pre - op, but I expected that). I can use it but I have little strength in it. My biggest problem at the moment is getting comfortable in bed. I find that my legs and arms are "twitchy" and feel like they are moving. I also have difficulty finding a position I can sleep in without waking up in pain.

I am sure that some of what I am experiencing is part of the recovery process following what is essentially major spinal surgery.
    If there is anything else I can help with, please ask.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,268
    hello shrinkbander!
    i wish you the best with your upcoming surgery!

while you are waiting for responses from members with shared experiences, please use search, upper right on page.
    you may be led to current or older discussions.
    the main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

did you have a conversation with doctor re your work as a bowler? and your ability to return?

you may be interested to read...post op must haves..and...recovery the most important phase....using search to find.

please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • georgejonesggeorgejones Santa Rosa Beach, FlPosts: 24
    Shrinkbander.  I had ACDF on the same 2 levels on Jan 5.  So far recovery has been fairly uneventful and I have had very little pain from day 1 and was able to get off the meds in about a week.  I wouldn't think you would be back bowling in 6-8 weeks.  My 4 week x-ray showed that I am starting to fuse and I expect to be released at 4 months but everybody fuses differently. My biggest problem has been making sure not to do too much.  I had a traditional ACDF with titanium cages and a titanium plate.  One person on this forum is having ACDF with coalition cages which don't require a plate which is less invasive and may have a faster recovery but you still have to fuse which can take up to 18 months.
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,509
    shrinkbander

I agree with GeorgeJones, don't expect to be back bowling in 6-8 weeks.  That is an optimistic estimate.  I think that while the surgery may have begun to heal, the nerves may take longer.  That may mean some muscle problems after the 8 weeks point.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• thanks guys for the heads up. I'm going to be going in May and i do not expect to be back in 6-8 weeks and if I am that would be a miracle.. It's just nice to know that other people are going through similar things as me.. I'd love nothing more than to wake up one day pain free and I'm just thinking of the big picture..
  • advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.