advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Severe (Severe!) Nerve Pain Post L1-2 Microdiscectomy

On 1/31 had an apparently uneventful microdiscectomy at L1-L2 as an outpatient at UCSF.  Woke up from surgery in recovery room and first thing I thought of was the pain gone?  Yes, in my back, as I felt no pain, but there was a new source of pain in my groin,  I had embraced the surgery, certain that I couldn't possibly be unlucky enough to incur a second nerve injury (thirty years ago, I suffered a nerve injury to S5 due to a botched caudal epidural and am considered a chronic pain patient).  I became quite upset and the ensuring events have proven my worst fears.
 After two days of bedrest I took a short walk up and down my block.  Huge increase in referred pain to groin and butt.  Left leg rapidly filled with numbness/tingling.  This was scalding, lacerating pain.  A hard pain in back at surgery site not related to wound tenderness.  Two weeks of stunning pain pain followed surgery. Numbness and tingling involving both extremities, and into lower abdomen.  Second MRI suggested hematoma.  Second surgery 11 days ago found no hematoma, but multiple disc fragments including one lodged against the nerve.  But same excrutiating pain follows second surgery and develops just as before with the slightest activity.
  I haven't confronted surgeon directly with the possibility of nerve injury, but he already has suggested a spinal cord Stimulator, and it seems clear to me that something terrible has gone wrong.  This is suicide level pain.  I don't know what to do.
advertisement

Comments

• dilauroddilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,072

suicide hotline numbers

usa: 1-800-784-2433

uk : 08457 90 90 90

roi: 1850 60 90 90

canada (url link)

https://www.suicideinfo.ca/csp/go.aspx?tabid=77

• Hi I just felt the need to reach out to you and let you know that you are stronger than you think you are,. I really hope you have gotten some kind of relief. Please let me know how you are feeling.
    Lisa Nagy
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,212
    hello echolane!
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Sign In or Join Us to comment.