advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

complications after CESI?

joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 313
Hi! So I had my second CESI (my first was right before xmas) this past Thursday evening and had a mild spinal headache the next morning that went away pretty quickly and had the first time ever relief from the lidocaine I guess but that didn't really start until mid Friday and ended abruptly Sat early evening. At that point my neck and shoulders started hurting again and with the addition of a massive headache that I have had since (now 6 days b/c its Thurs). I talked to the nurse on Tues about it and she said Dr said to take muscle relaxers and I said gee I take those daily at night just to exist the next day but I cannot take that and work and there was no further help. I called them back today to tell them I still have a headache and especially when I tilt my head back it explodes but eases when I lay down with an ice pack around my neck. She said Dr said headaches are not his specialty but they will set me up for a new MRI to see if something new is going on since my last a year ago ( I had 2 level ACDF Dec 2015) umm lady I didn't have headaches at all until this injection. I am just floored that they are not wondering like I am if hey maybe she needs a blood patch? Stupid Dr! All he could say is we don't need to do another injection b/c they are not helping....like you would get me in there to do another one in the first place. Other than that, I have just been in more discomfort all around that I was not in before the injection and the injection spot is painful also still. In the past, I was sore for a day or two at the spot and in the general area and it eased but not the case this time. What are your experiences?
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,772
    You really don't want my experiences !!!  Hopefully some cervical ESI "happy" members will answer your question.

If so inclined ... read the my story link below.

Warm Regards,

MN
  • joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 313
    Yeah I agree lol I've read your stuff over the last couple of yrs. I would like your thoughts on this though cuz I'm certainly not happy at all. Ha having probably the wor at pain day even worse than before my acdf...these headaches are making me almost insane!
  • advertisement
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,772
    edited 03/03/2017 - 11:00 PM
    Wow ... so sorry to hear it's an extra "special" bad one today ....  My thoughts ??  Well when I faced similar issues I 1. Tried to assist in the determination of my actual pain generator(s) and realistic procedures/repairs.  Maybe I missed part of your post .... but have you had updated imaging and do they have an actual target point or area that they believe can be "resolved" by ESI??

My concerns are all of the issues that ESI's can't - won't - and don't address - such as adjacent disc disease - osteophytes - canal stenosis - foraminal stenosis - retrolisthesis - spondylolisthesis - disc desiccation - annular tears - endplate changes .... ETC !!!

Thinking out loud - remembering where you are at :(

Keep us posted please?

MN  
  • joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 313
    I haven't had a current MRI since April last year and they did a flex xray in the fall b/c I was still having pain issues and said all the hardware looks to still be in place from the 2 level ACDF and I had some movement at C4 but nothing significant but will watch it and do these injections. I was a bit cynically amazed that they could determine all that from an xray but again I am not the expert and can only say that I hurt like before surgery. When I called the Dr back on this past Thurs to tell them I was worse off that pre-injection and was still having horrible headaches they finally said we need to get a new MRI..wow it took a lot to get that moving. Waiting on them to finish getting it pre-certified and call me with the appt so we will know if something has happened soon I guess. I am worried an adjacent level has done something or maybe ostephytes are causing this or the list just goes on and on and you well know. :) I finally started easing up during the day Saturday and am mostly back to pre injection pain levels. I am having carpal tunnel surgery on Thursday to resolve my hand and finger numbness that they thought would resolve with the ACDF and I pray that it helps some of this pain that they think is part of the double crush syndrome and is firing from the hand to the neck still. I don't hold out much belief that it will help the neck but getting rid of the profound numbness in my fingers will be a relief and they can keep on narrowing things down as causes.
  • I did not do well with the 2 injections in a series.  Maybe it was because I am diabetic, or that I was extremely stressed, but I won't have that done again.  Others it has helped, worth trying, rather than surgery first.
  • advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.