advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites: Spine-health.com, Arthritis-health.com, Sports-health.com, Pain-health.com for medical articles and videos.
advertisement

Nerve blocks - effective diagnostics?

smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 446
I had a discectomy 27 months ago.  Re-herniated 15 months ago.  Finally, I got to see my neurosurgeon yesterday, who says there's too little disc space remaining for a 2nd discectomy to be an option for my (primarily) back pain and (less-severe) nerve pain.  The nerve block injections will help determine if I have a good chance of getting relief with a fusion surgery (L5-S1), or so I'm told.  I'd love to hear if this has been helpful for anyone, as far as diagnosing; also, any permanent pain relief with these injections?  If there are risks/side effects you've experienced, please share as well. Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• I don't know as for your diagnosis or if this will help but I had a lumbar fusion in September and had a selective nerve root block injection at L-5 on both sides February 6. After a couple of days the pain went away even though I still had to take Tylenol but was back after a week. I had another one at the same site Thursday. Hopefully it will help 
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 446
    thanks @gardenparty44 ! So your injections are for treatment of the pain that is still there?  Or is a way of determining what next steps for treatment, or a combination of the 2?

• advertisement
  • Probably a combination of the two. I think the first step was trying to get me off pain pills which weren't controlling the pain. And the pm doctor said if the nerve blocks don't last long or whatever, there is an option of a stimulator that is implanted and stops pain signals from going to the brain. I'm currently going for a second opinion to there is nothing structurally wrong with my back before I consider that. 
  • Hello! I like conversations where I feel useful :)  I am having fusion from T10-L3 on 4/14 (one month away).  I have had multiple medial branch blocks as diagnostic tests to see if my issues are facet pain. The branch blocks worked incredibly well for about 6-8 hours(ish), and then tapered off (as they were expected to).  During my steroid injections/branch block treatments, about 7-10 days after the injections I would get a week of "OMG amazing!" pain relief where I would get relief throughout the day, but it would return in the late afternoon but not to its "normal level."  I am still having pain (I had my last injections about three weeks ago I think), but it isn't quite as bad as before.  I expect the injections to help another two to three weeks and then my pain will be right back where it belongs...  I almost don't want the injections as they cause me to forget what my BAD days are like and it makes me think "I wonder if maybe I don't need surgery after all...", but then I remember my bad days without any injection help (or I just avoid one of my three pain pills per day) and I get really excited for the surgery again.  I know, long story... Hopefully that helps.  Message me with any questions.. I am happy to even call/text.  I want to help/support.
    1) Schwannoma removal (1) @ L2-L3 (2001)
    2) Schwannoma removal (3) @ T11-L3 (2008)
    3) Failed laminectomy syndrome T11-L2, facet joint disease, ongoing schwannoma formation.  Fusion scheduled from T10-L3 (April 12th, 2017).  Chronic pain that never goes away
    thanks @littletontoby for that info!  I have a tentative date for my first injection now on the 19th, I'm...excited, nervous, curious...just want to get some accurate diagnosis already.  I hope your surgery went well, I'll have to check the forums for you...
  • advertisement
  • Hi Smartens!  I am about to add my first recovery blog entry!  How did the injections go??
    1) Schwannoma removal (1) @ L2-L3 (2001)
    2) Schwannoma removal (3) @ T11-L3 (2008)
    3) Failed laminectomy syndrome T11-L2, facet joint disease, ongoing schwannoma formation.  Fusion scheduled from T10-L3 (April 12th, 2017).  Chronic pain that never goes away
    got pushed up to May 10 :( but now that's only a week away :)  thanks for checking on me!  How are you doing?
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.