advertisement
advertisement

First night post-op L4-L5 microdiscectomy

Hello. I'm 30 years old and in relatively great health other than some back problems from years of abuse in sports followed by years of abuse at a desk.

Looking back, I wouldn't even be here had I not happened to finally be referred for an MRI which just so happened to show quite possibly one of the worst herniations you can come across. I was basically a walking emergency CES surgery waiting to happen due to the severe amount of canal narrowing. 

Anyways I was in for surgery in what I would call a shockingly short amount of time and am now 7 hours out and home resting comfortably. I can immediately tell a difference in my legs, buttocks and hips and I can only say they feel absolutely fresh and pain free at this point. I've also yet to have any kind of pain at the surgical site, but I'm trying not to get lulled into a false sense of security.

It has to be coming right? Can I ask when everyone else's pain began to show itself after surgery? I took one pain pill a fee minutes ago in hopes that it prevents me from waking up with any kind of pain. Any other suggestions for the first night? 

I also have to give thanks to my fantastic neurosurgeon and his team as this whole process could not have gone smoother so far.  
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Meg, 

I'm sorry to hear about your pain and that you now need a second surgery. 

I'm definitely more sore in my lower back than yesterday. Any leg pain is non existent though now which is a good sign. Also having some hip pain but will see how that goes over the next week as I start to walk more. 

It feels darn near impossible to not do any twisting, especially in bed. 
  • I'm now four days post-op. Yesterday I really felt good and was up and walking a lot, but I might have overdid it, because I'm more sore today. I'm finding that sitting up at all is the hardest part. I'm not needing the pain meds much and was only taking the Norco at night. Last two nights had some very strange reactions to it though, so will see if I can sleep without it. 

I'm worried I'm not progressing as quick as I should be though. Do I need to be walking more after 4 days? 
  • advertisement
  • tjlazerttjlazer TacomaPosts: 121

Curious how you are doing now Tacoma.

• TacomGuy29TTacomGuy29 Posts: 30
    edited 04/15/2017 - 12:43 PM
    @tjlazer

It's been 5 weeks now I guess, maybe a little more since the surgery and I feel great. I've been back to work full time for a couple of weeks now and am walking, standing and sitting as long as I want or need to. Basically back to the normal routine, minus anything really physical. My back and legs honestly feel better and stronger than they have in a couple of years,which leads me to believe the herniation had been building up for some time before finally exploding into what it became prior to surgery.
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,412
    TacomGuy29

That is great news!! Although you are back at work, you are still not completely healed. Please be careful and take care. As you know, our spines have to last a lifetime.

Everyone here have a great Easter!!
  • advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.