There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

See the Veritas Health sites:,,, for medical articles and videos.

C5/C6 Anterior Discectomy Fusion Pain

Where to start! So I had my surgery at the the end of 2016. I will admit the first two months were pretty rocky and I thought the pain would never go away. Third month I felt great and only ached every once in a while.

Than comes the dreaded fourth month, which I am currently experiencing. Pain that I'm experiencing is tingling and fatigue in left arm, left ear pain on and off, stabbing pain on and off on my right side of my neck, and feeling like something is caught in my throat constantly. It has gotten to the point of me putting my collar on when at home just so I can take strain off my neck and relax some.

When I got my first X-ray after just 2 1/2 months there was little white fuzz showing up on the X-ray. My surgeon was surprised saying that I was already beginning the process of fusing. So surely in such a short period of time nothing could have gone wrong right?

I don't go in for my next X-ray till the end of April. Should I wait it out and relax, or should I go in sooner to see if something happened?



  • joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 304

    I would say that if you are having pain and issues that you should at least call the Dr and let them know. You will have many new pains and aches and think things are going wrong while you are at this stage of healing and as things are reconnecting and muscles that you couldn't really use are now being able to be essence, 4 months is a bit early to be freaking out but did I do it? Yep lol Call them...that's what they are there for. I was told at my 6wk that I was fusing and then told again at 6mths that I was fused and now they think I am not fused at all after my MRI last week so I am waiting for the Dr to call me after doing an xray to further verify fusion or not and I am 1.5yrs from 2 level ACDF. I have had basically no relief from my surgery and I have been loudly complaining to no avail and I now I think they are listening to me finally that something is still not right. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon

  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,188
    hello eagerbeaver!
    i agree with joowee, above, ...i would at least call doctor to let him know your symptoms.
    doctor will then be able to,decide if he wants to see you sooner or not.

    also, to let you know, for any of your concerns, search may be helpful to you, upper right on page.
    you may be led to current or older discussions. you may be led to medical side.
    the main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on, also.

    you may be interested in reading****recovery the most important phase***** can find by using search.

    i wish you all the best with your continued recovery!
    please keep us posted on how you're doing!

    please click on link for helpful information!
  • advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.