advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lumbar Fusion Recovery?

Hi all-
A lumbar fusion (L4-S1) anterior/posterior may be in my future. The neurosurgeon told me to expect 2 weeks of severe pain and then the pain decreases significantly thereafter. Did you find this to be true in your case? Just wanted to know a little bit about other's experiences so I know what to expect. Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• rae1112rae1112 Michigan Posts: 143
    Well I had T4 to L5 fused due to scoliosis only posterior approach. I would say the first 2 weeks I did have very severe pain,  I had mine the 9th. It's better now but still sore.  I take 1 percoset every 4 hours to manage the pain. 
    The exhaustion is still very much there though. 
  • JameyhJJameyh Atlanta, Ga.Posts: 98
    Hi Taliarose,
         I had an anterior/posterior lumbar fusion of L4-S1 on December 5th, 2016.  I am 60 years old and this was my first exterior surgery.  Day 1, I was out of it.  Day 2, I used the PCA pump to treat pain.  But PT still gets you up to walk.  The pre-op nerve pain I had was completely gone so frankly I was excited.  By day 3, I was getting Oxycodone and Valium orally for pain and muscle spasms and they put a Lidocaine patch on the back.  By day 4, I was sleeping relatively well even in a hospital bed but I took a gel foam pillow to sleep on.   Went home on day 5 and continued the same medicine routine as in the hospital.  Every 6 hours for 4 days.  Then every 8 hours for 4 days then every 12 hours for a day or two.  I used a walker for 2 weeks just to be sure I didn't overdo it.   For the pain was only bad the first few days.  I hope you are one of the lucky ones.  Good luck.
    Jameyh
  • advertisement
  • Pain is manageable, if that's what you're asking.  Year and a half ago I had ten hours of surgery and think I had 7 or eight vertebrae fused.  I had to stay a week in the hospital then home where I dumped the prescription pain killers in the sink.  I used four over the counter Tylenol/day.  It will hurt and then it will stop hurting.  Right?  I was taking meetings two weeks after getting home, though with a driver.  Try to find ways to stay active.  Personally I think one needs to push one's self.  Don't let the pain push you around.  But that's me.  Year and a half I'm back on bicycle and motorcycle. 
Sign In or Join Us to comment.