advertisement
advertisement

Post Op ACDF

I am a little over 2 weeks post op - 2 level ACDF. 
At my post op appt, surgeon instructed me to start weaning off the collar - taking it off at times during the day, as tolerated. Must always wear collar when sleeping and passenger in car. 
It's been about 4 days of taking collar off for different times during day. I put it back on when I start to have pain, discomfort, fatigue. 
However, I have noticed in general, my pain seems worse now. A lot of aching in base of neck, burning between shoulder blades and even some pain in rib area- right side. Especially at night.
I am wondering if this is "normal" - just part of the healing process as nerves and muscles sort of wake up and heal? 
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 4,299
    Hi!
    Others may respond with their personal experience re post op recovery....as I have not had spine surgery.
    I was just wondering if you thought about calling doctor office to let him know?
    Doctor may want to change instructions in your collar tapering....? I dunno....

Just thinking, there is no need to suffer increased pain if doctor can easily advise with phone call. ...and I also think Doctor would want to know about your increased symptoms.

Please keep us posted with how you're doing!
  • daisyflower 

how are you doing with that pain now?  did you call the doctor?  hope you are better with the passing of time.

my is my buddy for at least 12 more weeks. i can take it off for short periods of just resting but that's it. it's really a bother, but i remind myself that it's for my own good. lots of work done on this old neck and i don't want to mess with it! 

• advertisement
  • Hey Laurie
    I wear my collar quite a bit too, usually one hour is the most I can tolerate with it off. 
    I feel like my nerves are "waking up" as they warned me, I've had a rough weekend. Hoping there's some light at end of tunnel soon as I am still having the pre op numbness, weakness, and pain. Glad to hear you are doing well. I also sent you a message.
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 688
    2 weeks is very early  in your post op journey. After mine, I was just beginning PT. My therapist could barely touch me because of all my pain. I did PT for about 3 months. 
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.