advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anybody tried Regenexx or Pauza's Diskseel?

HalHawkinsHHalHawkins Posts: 2
edited 04/09/2017 - 2:17 AM in Alternative Treatments
First time poster. Former college athlete here who's been dealing with lower back problems for 11 years now. It's what ended my college career. I've had one surgery (discectomy L5-S1), numerous injections, lots of PT, decompression therapy, and none of it has brought any relief (even temporary). Basically, my discs L2-3 down to L5-S1 are all unstable, torn to shreds, and shrunken. They just aren't healing and unable to stay hydrated, and any activity outside of walking is just asking for trouble. I've lost about 1.5" in height (used to be almost 6'9").

I've done a lot of research for new, non-surgical treatments, and come across Regenexx and Diskseel. On paper they seem promising. I've spoken to a rep for [edit] and sent them my MRI. They told me I was a good candidate for the procedure. Unfortunately, its going to take me some time to save up for it. There's also a clinic not far from me that does Regenexx.

I've read reviews for [edit], and the good reviews seem to come from those who've actually received the treatment, while the bad seem to come from people who didn't receive it, didn't like the price, and/or didn't like the clinic experience.

Does anyone out there have any personal experience (good or bad) with either treatment? There doesn't seem to be any other options out there (at least within the next 5-10 years).

Comment edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator To remove the name of medical professional
advertisement

Comments

• lcarpenterlcarpenter Posts: 134
    edited 04/09/2017 - 2:09 AM
    Disclaimer- this describes our experience only. I'm sure many others have had different outcomes. In 2012 my son (who was only 19) received the disc injections that were called fibrin sealant injections from Dr. [edit] at his hospital in Tyler. This resulted in a severe spine infection, several months in and out of the hospital and side effects that last until this day. The experience was horrific. The worst part was the lack of support from Dr.[edit] staff. After many many phone calls to them about the concerns my son was having and worsening physical symptoms which landed him in a wheelchair, they finally just told me to take him to the emergency room if I was so concerned. This is when the infection was found along with an acute schmorls node caused by the procedure. 
    I know how back pain can completely wreck your life and I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. My son was also an athlete who injured his back in Highschool athletics. We, too, were desperate for help. I truly hope you find a procedure that helps you and wish you the best!!!

Comment edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator To remove name of medical professional
  • Hey Hall: I had the platelet rich treatment from the same clinic as Kobe Bryant, and also a platelet lysate treatment from a clinic that rhymes with DMX and that is located in boulders. Both treatments helped me a lot and if I could afford it I would do either treatment again ASAP. 
  • advertisement
  • thuggins83tthuggins83 Farmington MOPosts: 3

I've started my research on both of these alternative treatments. There isn't much supporting evidence which is scary due to their costs....

• Joel1QJJoel1Q Posts: 332
    edited 09/26/2018 - 12:29 AM

facinating just reading into the high level info.  benefits seem amazing but the costs and some of the risks seemed scary though it could be scare tactics as the websites started blending together after I started down this reggex rathole that lasted the night, thanksvm  :)

who can afford this but the rich or elite?

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

L3-S1 PLIF Laminectomy and Fusion March 2018

• The Discseel is very interesting to me.  I found one article from 2017 that he has done over 1000 of them with 86% success rate.  Just recently he has trained 14 new practitioners in the application.  He has also opened a clinic in China I believe.  I see there is a new clinical study being done with Fibrin and PRP.  That is currently recruiting.

The flip side is the first Clinical trail study was less then successful for the group.  Reading the reviews of the guy make him see bipolar but if you ever been out on Yelp you know just can't trust reviews.  No where with the exception of lcarpenters son can you find a non bias testimony.  Looking into the cost I found that it was around 30K?  That is a hell of a gamble for anyone.  When you search Fibrin or Discseel the first two pages that pop up are the regenexx disclaimer.  They don't necessarily say it doesn't work but do point out the risk.  

My personal belief is may very well help, depending on many factors like your level of degeneration in the disc, you age, you end pate modic type.  If its a herniation of annular tear.  There is just so little information.  I tried to do the online questionnaire but it wouldn't go though and I gave up.

If anyone else has more information I would love to here it.

I'm also a tall guy 6'5".  We are more prone to disc problems as you may know.  I had stem cells injected into my lumbar disc and epidural space and it gave me about 30% relief.  Its hard to put a number on it since it changes all the time.  We are all looking for that magic pill that will give us relief.  I think I read about every biologic treatment and clinical study I could find.  I could easily go bankrupt trying different approaches.  There is some hopeful trials being done out there but most of the studies fail and the time it take to get through a trial is many years.

I'm trying to figure out my next step just like you.  I'm trying to avoid steroid injections as they don't fix anything and can do mare harm in the long run.  I'm doing several  conservative treatments now and looking at the other alternatives that are not covered by insurance.  Some that I'm considering are.  Ozone treatment or Playlet Lysate PRP,

• advertisement
  • Lcarpenter I cannot imagine your pain to see your child go through that. I too had as much luck researching this and kept getting dumped to the regexx marketing pitch pages..but at one point I was able to see some of the risks Theologian they are ugly I mean- at some TIME during the process when they inject you a side effect is attacking and overtaking your immune system to where your body no longer has the ability to defend itself from disease, and the result is death.  I am not where I’d take that chance I’d take my pain the rest of my life, and being able to look into my wife and kids eyes until nature runs its course, not regexx give me something a bit less risky. 

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

• "I was able to see some of the risks Theologian they are ugly I mean- at some TIME during the process when they inject you a side effect is attacking and overtaking your immune system to where your body no longer has the ability to defend itself from disease, and the result is death."

You lost me, are talking about Diskseel here.  If so I would love to know where you got this from.

As to Regenexx I felt very much like you and still do to a certain point.  I was put off by the flood of advertisements and sales hype and the lack of authentic testimonials out there.  On the other hand they do seem to provide a lot of information.  They also have conducted some clinical trials.  The seem to keep track of their patients and put the results in a database.  I recently read through their "The Spine Owner Manual" and read through many of the blogs on their website.   I have grown a little more impressed with them.

• Joel1QJJoel1Q Posts: 332
    edited 10/14/2018 - 12:25 AM

No theologian I was still lamenting on the regenexx stem cell side effects that was not about diskeel...will be more careful about references in the future. That website does blend a lot of topics together and seems to try to inundate the reader with info. Drown them in facts.  Din them with details.  And of course in a quick look back just now to defend myself I can’t put a finger on that exact risk so I’ll keep searching. Dork here, heading over to the lobotomy department for a replacement brain  

I don’t know though, I wonder since I am not bone in bone if I could benefit from such a promising procedure?  I can’t afford it so I’ll never have to go find those risks and weigh them. Unless someone says thou shall not swindle thy customer—not that regenexx is swindling but I just wished it was cheaper for those who really need to try something as a last resort. Especially for CRPS/RSD patients should be given PRP or PLI perks- seems so unfair 

So if you average 4 out of 5 stars that’s good in some industries but medicine? And advanced medicine? You’d think they would refuse to treat those that obviously wouldn’t benefit from treatment and were better off with a joint replacement.  Happy painrelief Sunday to all

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

• Does anyone know the true cost (out of pocket) for this discseel? My 44 year old son who is addicted to opiods for his low back pain has a pain mgmt doctor who is telling him not to have surgery and is pushing this discseel for 2 ruptured discs in his lower back - any information from anyone who has gone through this or has considered this would be so appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• scbartic1 I was told by the rep that the discseel treatment was around $25k. They don't charge per disc, which was nice. I'm still wavering on the issue. My back is just getting worse, and I really need to figure out something soon.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.