advertisement
advertisement

Question for fellow post op ACDF ...

I am 4 weeks post op from 2 level ACDF.
While I know everyone heals differently, I have to admit I am getting frustrated at where I am, and where I read others are.
One thing in particular that concerns me is when I wake up. Everyday when I wake up- regardless of where I slept (recliner, couch, bed)- I am in PAIN.
Throbbing pain at base of neck, pain across top of shoulders, burning pain down each arm into each bicep, and finally numbness in left hand. 
Compared to pre surgery -the pain now is different, and worse. Numbness is present but improved.
It takes me a good hour to get going in the morning because of this pain, and I have to take pain meds to help alleviate these symptoms or else I will end up just sitting in recliner all day. Sometimes I am even throwing ice packs on.
I am walking daily and doing hand excersises- that's it. Not ordered anything else at this time. I am resting, really taking it easy.
Anyone else like this? Should I be calling my surgeon? I go back in a few weeks...
Sorry if I am just being a worry-wart.

advertisement

Comments

• georgejonesggeorgejones Santa Rosa Beach, FlPosts: 24
    Have you had a follow up x-ray? I had one at 4 weeks that showed everything in place which at least gives you some peace of mind. I would definitely put in a call to my surgeon.
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,406
    I agree with georgejones, call your surgeon.
  • advertisement
  • rae1112rae1112 Michigan Posts: 140
    My pain was much better between week  4 and 5 but the last few days I feel like I've gone backwards and the pain has gotten worse.  
    I agree with the others that it never hurts to call your dr and let them know what's going on. 
  • Hi Daisy

I had two level acdf also.  I am about five months out.  It hurts at one month out, no doubt about it.  You are still early.  Nothing unusual I am hearing from you.  In a perfect world everybody heals and gets better.  Wish it were true.  At the end of my second month I was feeling better.  Not to scare you but at the end of my third month I was heading in the wrong direction.  At four months I was calling surgeon, pain management and neurologist.  Now I hurt everyday and wish I had not had surgery. 

There are plenty of good outcomes from surgery.  I still take the same meds as pre-op.  I hope that someday I will feel better than now.  Try to relax, speak with surgeon and as many others as you can.  I do believe some surgeons sugar coat their procedures by saying all my other patients are fine.  If you need more specific info let me know.

dmo

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.