advertisement
advertisement

ACDF C 5-6 & 6-7 - Nervous

Having 2 level ACDF surgery in 3 weeks. Very nervous about the surgery. I've read some mixed reviews about having the surgery and would like some reassurance that I'm doing the right thing.. I've been fighting it for over 2 years and surgery is the best option for me just hope I can get back to my old routines.. I'm a bowler and competitive it's a source of income and I have 4 children with the youngest being 2.. Please give me some positive feedback from the operation..
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Don,

I had the exact surgery you are going to have.  The surgery itself is a snap.  No problems that are  not easily addressed.  Hospital stay is probably two days.  It will hurt, no doubt about it.  Follow your drs orders and keep your pain meds current.  I have read your past threads and say you have been given good advice. 

I would also caution you about this surgery.  I had pain pre-op.  Neck, shoulder and arm pain.  I also had headaches frequently.  Post op I feel that my pain is worse.  I still have the same symptoms and more.  I would not do it again.  There are reasons to have this surgery such as nerve impingement or canal stenosis.  I thought it would take all my pain away.  I was led to believe this.  Please think hard before having surgery as it is not reversible.  If you do a search on Spine health about--Pain after acdf-- you will find a lot of people have issues after surgery.  There are many good outcomes also.  Just know that it is possible to turn out like I did.  I am not trying to scare you, just giving you all possible info.

dmo

• thank you DMO I have severe canal stenosis and pain and headaches along with balance loss. Can barely write with a pen because of it. I had three drs tell me not to fall because I'd run the risk of paralysis.
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,414
    shrinkbander

Please join us at the May Surgical Buddies. Just go to the right of the page and click on Surgery Buddies, go to the left and click on May. In the comment section tell your story, why you are having surgery and for what. We only have three people so far but you will find a lot of support and advice from this group.

Hope to see you there.
Sign In or Join Us to comment.