advertisement
advertisement

My friend was just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, what can I do to help?

Today my friend was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, to me it's a relief to know why she has been in so much pain for no reason. but at the same time I realize that this pain will not subside and knowing that she will suffer through the random pains for the rest of her life takes a toll on me. I hate what she's been going through. but back to the question, what, if any, things are there that I can do to help her.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,403
    edited 07/23/2019 - 1:08 PM

hi adewey!

Welcome to Veritas Health Forum

from someone who has had fibro for over 20 yrs., i wish i would have had a friend like you. thank god i have had my husband who is so understanding. but sometimes i wished i just had someone to talk to, cry with and to understand that i will have good and bad days. just because i felt good yesterday doesn't mean i will feel good today.
    my advice to you first of all would be research as much as you can so you will understand more. depression comes along with it so maybe you will be able to help her with that. if not suggest a psychologist.
    there are so many side effects to fibro and it will take a while to sort all of that out.
    mostly, just be there for her, be patient and understanding.
    i could go on and on about it so just let me know if you would like to hear more.

please click on the welcome link below as well as the system tutorial for more information.

welcome to spine health

all new members should take the system tutorial 

if you don't mind me asking, how old is she and how long have you been friends.
    thank you for being there for her.

• I just rejoined this site, and saw you post of last summer. I'm wondering just how your friend is coping with her FM, and how are YOU doing as her faithful friend. As memerainbolt said, I, too, am blessed in having a most understanding husband. While he doesn't quite understand the condition, and many cannot, he does understand most of my needs, especially that of rest. That said, I do wish I had a girlfriend to just sit and talk with at times. It's just somehow different. I am 81, and all of my local friends have either died or moved away. The nerve of them! I do miss that, and your friend is so fortunate in having you to talk with. I believe the best thing you can do for her is to be an active listener. Sometimes that's what we need the most, and I hate to lay any more on the one with whom I live. I used to enjoy the luxury of visiting with a friend about what was bothering me, then we would get on with having some fun, if it was just being silly. I hope things are going relatively well for both you and your friend.

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.